a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Pan-fried purple broccoli and chicken with pink lemon sauce

We're suffering at the moment from a glut of purple sprouting broccoli. As quickly as I pick it, more grows. We've eaten lots boiled, just as it comes; tried it in stir-fry; added bits to tomatoey pasta sauces....



So last night I tried to hunt down a new recipe. I couldn't find quite what I was looking for but the various ideas I found led me to try adding it - with chilli, pepper and other bits and bobs - to a lemon chicken recipe.

Recipe:

marinade chicken breasts in the juice of 2 lemons and the grated rind of one.

Blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes - this loses some but not all of the purple



I fried a chopped-up leek (hastily pulled from the garden), half a yellow pepper and a chopped up chilli briefly. Then added the sliced up chicken. After browning it lightly, I tipped in the remainder of the marinade and then rinsed out the bowl with water to get all the lemon zest. Added a grind or two of black pepper.

When everything was cooked, I threw in the broccoli to wilt for a minute or two, then, the secret ingredient, 3 tablespoons of demerara sugar. When I've cooked chicken on its own this way the sugar has bubbled up to a sticky glaze. Maybe I'd added too much water this time, or the broccoli was too damp but the sauce was a little runny -

a marvellous colour though...

PINK!!

1 comment:

  1. well it sounds delicous! Oh to have your problem of too much fresh home grown vegies!!!!

    ReplyDelete