a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Friday 22 June 2012

Low fat cheesy broad beans and pasta

It's broad bean surplus time at the allotment, so I'm looking for different ideas of how to cook and eat them.
I don't think this is particularly original - there are lots of similar recipes that involve high fat cheese or double cream but we wanted a low fat version. I make this more often with just ham and mushroom, sometimes with courgettes added.

I cooked the beans first. Fried up some onions, peppers, mushrooms and one slice of ham (as I didn't want to open the next packet!) and threw the beans in with everything. It looks better with red peppers as they stand out more but today's options were green or this yellowy one.
I added about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper - which might have been a little too much. It would probably be fine to leave it out or grind some black pepper over after cooking.
Then I added about 2 tablespoons of very low fat cheese spread and heated it through to melt.

And *fanfare* dinner is served.


1 comment:

  1. well it sounds great to me!!!!
    I want to thank you for the comment you made today, it makes me see light at the end of tunnel,

    ReplyDelete