a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Friday 3 August 2012

Dry-your-own

I've tried drying my own herbs before and found some easier than others. Some I hang in the airing cupboard, others I dry on a tray in the upper oven but I've never managed to get dried oregano that retains any aroma. In a brief spot of sunshine last week, I decided to try another way - spreading the leaves on a metal tray on a hot windowsill - and it works! I actually have usable dried oregano rather than the normal dead leaves. Now all I need to do is pick a LOT more oregano.

2 comments:

  1. ha , I know! It takes a whole lot to fill a bottle, I dried mine in between two screens ( old screens) from a window, I put them on our balcony in the hot sun, the sand witched screens keep them from blowing away, I think the sun drying preserves the aroma and flavor better than slower methods,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we'd ever get hot enough sun to dry outside :( Thanks for the screens tip though because even on the windowsill some were blown away - I should have some old pieces of net I can fasten over the tray to stop this.

      Delete