a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Sunday 8 September 2013

Jam making - a twist on an old favourite


There are two things I really dislike about jam - the seeds from berries and currants, and having to sieve fruit pulp for ever to get rid of them.
So seeing this variation in a recipe book I thought I'd try it out.
About three quarters of the fruit is apple - peeled, cored and sliced, then cooked to a pulp.

Then the blackberries are added whole - seeds and all - but I'm hoping the small percentage of them will mean not too many bits to stick in my teeth while still getting that lovely blackberry flavour.

Sampling the leftovers suggests that my theory has worked but I'll have to wait and try it properly. If any is left for me, that is - the jar centre left was full!

No comments:

Post a Comment