Tuesday, 18 February 2014
Week 3 and I'm finding that it's far easier to make 'free' lunch if I have soup! Just raid the freezer and throw some things together.
Monday; soup with tomatoes, sweetcorn and courgettes from the freezer. I'm definitely getting more inventive with using up what I've got!
Well, this week started well but went downhill at weekend. I managed to find some scraps of rocket in the garden to add to sandwiches but honestly they didn't really make a difference. I can't imagine next week will go well either as it's half term - no weird soup allowed.
Monday, 10 February 2014
Tuesday; quick and easy leek and potato soup - stored potatoes, fresh leeks from allotment and garden
Saturday was this week's 'day off' - bacon fry up with no room for veg at all.
Sunday; back to salad. It gets harder to find interesting bits and pieces to put together for this - fresh rocket, cabbage and radish. Red onion and beetroot stored from summer and some dried apple pieces.
Sunday, 9 February 2014
This latest project is really going very well. I've started with the easy bit - plain stocking stitch back- and completed it in a couple of weeks.
Now on to the fronts which will be slower because of the cables. First though, as I'm not working from a pattern I have to sort which cables to use and where to put them.
This will be the main pattern up the centre of each front with smaller cables either side.
Monday, 3 February 2014
I'm getting round to planning what I'll be growing in the veg patch and at the allotment this coming year, and it struck me that I still seem to have a freezer full of last year's allotment harvest. Time, I decided, to use it up - after all the whole point of growing veg is to eat it! So, building on my 'lunch from the lottie' idea, I'm trying to see how many times I can put together a 'free' lunch using fruit and veg that have either been grown by us, given by friends or through Freegle, or foraged. Obviously any meat, bread, cheese etc will have to be shop-bought so there'll probably be a lot of vegetarian meals. Here's how Week 1 went...
First up, Monday; a minestrone of sorts with tomatoes, broad beans and cabbage from the freezer and carrots gifted by someone from the allotments with a bit of dried chilli and a sprinkle of last year's dried oregano
Friday; chilli of sorts with beans dried not last year but the one before, tomatoes and courgettes from the freezer, and onions and dried chilli from store. No peppers as I didn't grow enough to freeze any, but it was still ok.
Saturday; sandwiches again. I've soon discovered that it's easier to cook a free lunch, than have 'free' sandwiches. Still, I picked some rocket, added some already cooked beetroot and a red onion from the store to go with tuna.
Sunday - another quick sandwich day so I just grabbed the first things to hand in the fridge - nothing 'free' at all. For dinner, though, there were potatoes from store and runner beans and cauliflower from the freezer, so maybe things evened out on the day.
Now to start planning for next week.....