a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Another week, another batch of preserves

The freezer is getting very close to full so I'm trying to preserve at least of the fruit and veg in other ways,so it's time to get the preserving pan out again.
First I made a couple more jars of my 'lazy passata' - with skinned but not sieved tomatoes. Then on to the jam. This was limited by the amount of sugar I had left - so I weighed that first,then worked out how much fruit I could use up. Luckily that was more than the amount of blackberries I was trying to avoid freezing, so I added some apples (picked to reduce the weight on spindly branches) and even a bag of mixed raspberries, blackcurrant and blueberries from the depths of the freezer. The result? four jars of dark, dark jam and a little more breathing space in the freezer .....for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment